Do you need to unblock websites in Chrome? If so, you’re not alone. Many people find themselves in a situation where they need to access a website that is blocked by their employer or school. Luckily, there are several ways to get around this block and access the website of your choice.
In this blog post, we will discuss 5 methods for unblocking websites in Chrome.
Table of Contents
Why Websites are Blocked on Chrome?
There are a few reasons why websites may be blocked on Chrome:
- The most common reason is that the website has been flagged as unsafe by Google. This can happen if the website contains malware or if it’s a phishing site that tries to steal your personal information.
- Another reason why websites may be blocked is due to regional restrictions. For example, you may not be able to access certain websites if you’re trying to view them from a country where they’re not allowed.
- Some schools and workplaces block websites for reasons like preventing employees from wasting time on social media or blocking sites that contain inappropriate content.
- Lastly, your ISP may block certain websites if they’re trying to comply with government regulations.
How to unblock websites in Chrome at School?
If you’re trying to access a website that’s been blocked at school, there are a few ways to do it.
Use a VPN
The first method is to use a VPN. A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, encrypts your internet traffic and routes it through a server in another location. This makes it appear as if you’re accessing the internet from a different location, which can be helpful for bypassing regional restrictions.
There are many VPNs for Google Chrome to choose from, but we recommend ExpressVPN as it’s one of the fastest and most reliable options.
Use a Proxy to unblock websites in Chrome
Another way to unblock websites in Chrome is to use a proxy. A proxy is similar to a VPN in that it routes your traffic through a server in another location. However, proxies don’t encrypt your traffic, which means they’re not as secure as VPNs.
Unblock a website from the Restricted sites list
First, check your internet proxy settings. The website you want to visit may have been put on the Restricted sites list. If this website is on the Restriction websites list, simply remove it to resolve the issue.
Here is how to do that:
- On the Windows search box, type Control Panel and click on its icon to launch.
- Expand the View by menu and change the view to Large icons.
- From the list, choose Internet Options.
- Under the Internet Properties window, switch to the Security tab and click on Restricted sites.
- Next click on the Sites button to access the list of restricted sites.
- Choose a site that you want to unblock and click on the Remove button.
- Restart the Chrome browser to make the changes effective.
Reset your Hosts file to Unblock Websites in Chrome
The network administrator may prevent access to undesired websites by editing the host file and adding sites that don’t belong to their authorized domains. They accomplish this by appending the IPv4 loopback traffic (127.0.0.1) to the end of the host file, followed by the URL of the site to block.
Although, this might sound tricky but bypassing and resetting the hosts file to unblock websites in Chrome is pretty straightforward. Here are the steps for that:
- Open the File Explorer on your system and copy & paste the following address to the address bar to navigate to the hosts file folder: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- Right-click on the hosts file and choose the Open with option.
- From the list select Notepad and click OK.
- In the hosts file, at the bottom, delete the line that contains the URL of the site that you want to unblock.
- Now press Ctrl + S to save the file and close it.
- Restart the browser and check if the sites are unblocked.
Bypass Chrome Warning
Chrome does a security check on every website, and if it determines it to be an unsafe or dangerous site, you will not be able to access it. You may instead see warnings such as Your connection is not secure, The site ahead contains harmful applications, and so on.
However, if you think that the website is secure, you can click on Advanced and proceed with the website.
However, it is advised that you avoid doing so due to the possibility that those sites may be harmful and attempt to infect your PC with malware or conduct phishing scams.
While there are many ways to unblock websites in Chrome at school or office, we’ve outlined the best methods based on our research. If you use one of these techniques, you should be able to access any website from your Chrome browser. Have you had success using a different method? Let us know in the comments below!
One way to unblock websites in Chrome is to use a VPN. A VPN routes your traffic through a server in another location, which can allow you to bypass internet restrictions.
You can use a proxy to unblock websites in Chrome. A proxy is similar to a VPN in that it routes your traffic through a server in another location. However, proxies don’t encrypt your traffic, which means they’re not as secure as VPNs.
You can use a VPN application on your smartphone to unblock a website.