Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the number of tabs you have open in Chrome on your Android device? If so, you need to utilize the Chrome Tab Group feature.
Tab management can be a bit tricky on mobile devices, but with the right tips and tricks, it’s easy to get everything under control. In this guide, we will show you how to create, manage, and disable Chrome tab groups on Android.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Chrome Tab Group in Android?
Chrome Tab Group is a feature that allows you to organize your tabs into groups. This can be helpful if you have a lot of tabs open and want to keep them organized by topic or project.
Chrome Tab Groups are a way to organize your tabs into categories. This can be helpful if you have a lot of tabs open at once, or if you want to separate work tabs from personal tabs. Tab groups can be created by long-pressing on a tab and selecting “Add to new group.” Once you have a few tabs grouped together, you can give the group a name and color. This makes it easy to find specific tabs later on.
Tab groups aren’t only for people who don’t want to quit a tab; they’re ideal for even the most meticulous browser users who only have a few tabs opened. There is no such thing as a limit in Chrome when it comes to creating tab groups. It’s possible to create tab groups on any system with enough RAM since there isn’t a limit.
What are the Advantages of Chrome Tab Groups?
There are several advantages to using Chrome Tab Groups:
First, they can help you stay organized. If you have a lot of tabs open, it can be difficult to keep track of them all. By grouping your tabs, you can easily find the ones you need.
Second, tab groups can improve your productivity. If you’re working on multiple projects at the same time, you can use tab groups to keep related tabs together. This way, you can easily switch between projects without having to search for the tabs you need.
Third, they can help you save time. If you often find yourself opening the same tabs over and over again, you can save them in a tab group so that they’re always available. This way, you don’t have to waste time opening them each time you need them.
Finally, tab groups can help you customize your workflow. If you have a specific way that you like to work, you can use tab groups to create a custom workflow that fits your needs.
How to create Chrome Tab Groups Android?
Chrome Tab Group feature is turned on by default and works flawlessly in Chrome 88 and later versions. So, before following the steps to create Chrome Tab Groups, update your browser to the latest version.
Here are the steps to create Chrome Tab Groups on an Android device:
Launch the Chrome browser on your Android device.
Tap on the Tab switcher icon to see the list of opened tabs.
Now, tap on the three dots at the top right corner.
Select the Group tabs option from the menu.
Now choose the tabs and tap on the Group button to add them to the group.
The Chrome tab group of the selected tabs will be created.
Manage Chrome Tab Group in Android
How to add a tab in a Chrome Tab Group?
To add a tab in an already existing Chrome tab group, follow these steps:
- Launch the Chrome browser on your Android device.
- Now tap on the Tab switcher icon to see the list of opened tabs.
- Select the tab group on which you want to add the new tab.
- Tap on the + icon to add a new tab to the group.
- Open the website or webpage in a new tab that you want to add to a tab group.
- The tab will be added to the group.
Add an existing tab to a tab group
To add an existing opened tab to a Chrome tab group, just press it and drag it to the group, and release.
Merge two Chrome Tab Groups in Android
Merging two tab groups is similar to adding an existing tab to the group. Just press a tab group drag it over another group and release it to merge both of them.
Release a tab from the Group
If you want to release a tab from the group, but don’t wanna close it, follow these steps:
- Open the tab that you want to release from the group.
- Tap on the arrow icon at the bottom left to expand the tab group menu
- Press the tab that you want to release and drag it down to the Remove from Group option. The selected tab will become a stand-alone tab.
Close a Chrome Tab Group
To close a tab group:
- Tap on the tab switcher icon at the top.
- Look for the tab group you want to close and tap on the x icon to close it.
Other Actions you can perform on the Chrome Tab group Android
- You can drag a tab up or down in a group by just pressing on it.
- You can also create a tab group by dragging one tab on another.
- If you find a hyperlink on an article, tapping on it would open it in a tab group by default.
How to disable Chrome Tab Group on Android?
If you’re not a fan of tab groups, you can disable them in Chrome on your Android device. For that, you need to disable certain flags. Here’s how:
- Launch Chrome browser on your Android device.
- Navigate to the Chrome Flags page (chrome://flags).
- Search for the Tab Grid Layout and expand the drop-down menu below it.
- Select the Disabled option from the menu.
- Click on the Relaunch button to make the changes or wait till disabling other flags.
- Now on the Chrome Flags page, search for Tab group. And disable the Tab Groups Continuation and Tab groups on tablets.
That’s all about Chrome Tab groups in Android. We hope this guide helped you in understanding what is a tab group and how to create, manage, and disable it. If you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article with others.
There is no such thing as a limit in Chrome when it comes to creating tab groups. It’s possible to create tab groups on any system with enough RAM since there isn’t a limit.
The quickest way to switch between tabs is by using the “Tab Groups” button in the top-right corner of the Chrome window. This will open up a list of all your tab groups so you can select the one you want to focus on.